(1)
Cathy: Did you see May today
凯西:你今天看到梅了吗
Jack1: Yes. But why does she have such a long face
杰克:看到了,她为什么拉长着脸啊
Cathy: I dont have the foggiest idea.
凯西:不知道。
Jack: I thought shed be happy.
杰克:我还以为她会很高兴呢。
Cathy: Yeah, especially since she got a promotion2 recently.
凯西:是啊,她最近还升职了呢。
Jack: Maybe its some kind of personal problem.
杰克:也许有什么私人问题吧。
(2)
Eddie: What are the chances of getting a raise this year
埃迪:今年有可能长工资吗
Janice: Chances are slim!
贾尼斯:不太可能。
Eddie: Wow! You havent gotten a raise for how many years now
埃迪:哇!你多少年没长过工资了
Janice: Its been three years! The company keeps losing money and they cant afford to give anyone a raise.
贾尼斯:三年了!公司总是亏损,没法给我们长工资啊。
Eddie: Thats too bad. Did you ever think of working somewhere else
埃迪:太糟了。你有想过去其他地方工作吗
Janice: Yeah. In fact, I have an interview next Monday.
贾尼斯:有啊,我下周一就有个面试。
Eddie: Good luck!
埃迪:祝你好运啊!
(3)
Terri: Derrick, dont you think you should take a vacation Even one or two days would be fine.
特里:戴里克,你不觉得应该去休个假吗一两天也行啊。
Derrick: Theres no way. Theres too much work.
戴里克:不行啊,工作太多了。
Terri: But you look so exhausted3. You need a break!
特里:但是你看起来筋疲力尽的。你需要休息!
Derrick: I know. My chances would be better if they would hire more people.
戴里克:我知道。如果公司多雇点人我就会好过多了。
Terri: They wont hire more people
特里:他们不雇人吗
Derrick: No. They always want to keep the cost down. I am really overwhelmed4 with a heavy workload5.
戴里克:不雇,他们总想着降低成本。我快被繁重的工作压垮了。
Terri: Maybe you should talk to the manager.
特里:也许你应该和经理谈谈。
Derrick: Yes. Im going to bring this up in tomorrows meeting.
戴里克:恩,明天开会的时候我就说。
办公室会话:天气
天气是个易于切入的话题,尤其在职场这种微妙的关系中。尤其当天不好时,正好表示一下你的关心。
Stephen: Wow, you look like a drowned rat! Didnt you know theres a thunderstorm1 today
斯蒂芬:哇,你就像个落汤鸡!你不知道今天有雷雨吗
Justine: I knew there would be a shower, but I didnt realize it would rain cats and dogs today.
贾斯汀:我知道有阵雨,哪知道会下这么大呀。
Stephen: Well, youd better find some dry clothes, or youll catch a cold.
斯蒂芬:你最好找件干衣服,要不会感冒的。
Justine: I know. I dont want to get sick.
贾斯汀:我知道,我可不想感冒。